Living in the Moment: Frida Kahlo and Life #MondayBlogs #FridaKahlo

Some time ago my husband and I went south to visit my 93-year-old mother who is spending the winter with my 72-year-old sister. I note their ages because in their presence I often feel like a 12-year-old, not the 59-year-old I really am. Believe me, the 59-year-old struggles to be free! To be honest, we had a very nice visit. Every time I see my mom, I marvel at well she is, both physically and mentally. My sister is well, too, but she supports Trump (enthusiastically) so enough said about that.

One of the high points of our visit was a trip to see the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Dali Museum. Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists. The exhibit was nicely organized with photos interspersed with paintings, drawings, and interpretative signs. An image of Frida and Diego Rivera was projected on one wall, making them larger than life, which, in fact, they were. A loop of documentary clips played in one corner of the three-room exhibit.

First, the photos:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Some of you may know that Frida suffered much physical pain and disabilities in her life. She contracted polio when she was a little girl, which left her right leg shorter and thinner than the left. Then, when she was only 18, she was in a bus accident and suffered near fatal injuries: broken pelvis, ribs, legs, and collarbone, to name a few. Although she “recovered,” she experienced pain and declining health for the rest of her short life.

Hell

Hell

She had originally planned for a career in medicine. The bus accident changed all that, and though the accident left her with a world of pain, she left us with a world of wonder, color, and expression.

Some of the paintings in this slideshow are not for the faint of heart. Frida painted what she felt, what she lived.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I hope you have enjoyed this visit to the Dali Museum and the Frida Kahlo exhibit.

On a more personal note, I am experiencing some “life events” right now. I know my blogging has been spotty and I am more and more AWOL as these events suck up my time and energy. All is well, at least on my home front, but I’m just … busy-busy-busy. Know that I will do my best to catch up with you all and that, at a minimum, I think of you all often.

Ciao, amigos y amigas!

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Living in the Moment: Frida Kahlo and Life #MondayBlogs #FridaKahlo

1. Susan Nicholls and I went to the Dali museum a few years ago for a fun day.

2. What a fascinating exhibit. Thanks for sharing it with us, Marie. I hope everything is okay. xo

3. Donna says:

Hi Marie, I just went to the Frieda Kahlo exhibit at ref Dali museum last week. She’s inspirational and so relevant to women’s rights today. I’m very curious to know what’s keeping you busy, busy, busy!

4. L. Marie says:

Some friends of mine are heading in that direction for their winter break. Perhaps they’ll stop at the museum. I hope they can get there.
    Thanks for this post!

Cool! If you can, let your friends know that Thursday evenings are half-price admission. Of course, it might be crowded as it was for us, but not an unruly crowd 🙂

5. I’ve always been a big fan of Kahlo’s work. I’ve not been to the Dali Museum, but a friend of mine was able to visit last year when he had to travel for work and had great things to say about it.

6. I love seeing Frida and Diego under a sign for “WORKERS!” Makes me wish contemporary artists had a better sense of which side they should be on …

7. Thank you, Marie, for the beautiful tour. I have always loved Frida and Diego’s work. I used to work in the old post office building in San Francisco and was treated to Diego’s work each day. My mom gave me some advice when I was snowed under. She said, “Don’t let life get in the way of living.” MWAH

8. Luanne says:

Frida really shows us how art needs to plunge us into the “raw” aspects of life. Her work gives me the chills. And it seems so very ahead of its time. So glad you got to see your family, but although I am the oldest I do get that feeling of always being young around them. I feel very immature and teenish around my mom ;).

Yeah, I don’t know if that feeling of being a child around my mom and sibs will ever go away. My other sister treats me more like a peer. My oldest sister did for awhile but our relationship soured so she’s back to dismissing me like she did when I was a kid. Glad you liked the exhibit. It was wonderful to see her paintings up close. Only deepened my respect for her art.

9. Thanks so much for this, Marie. I love Frida! I was fortunate enough to see some of her work at the Philly museum. I wish I could have met her because wow, what a woman. I love the way her mind worked, and how she saw the world. I especially love the way she perceived and portrayed women. (We need more Fridas in the world, and we need them right now.) Glad you got to visit your mom and older sister, even if your sister is a Trump supporter (my older sister is one also, and her boyfriend blares Fox new all. the. time). Take care and and big hugs through your “life events.”

Hey, Cinthia! I would loved to known Frida too, just to be in that same room as her, feel her presence. My sister plays Fox News all the time too. My husband could barely contain himself the last morning we visited and she had it on. My poor mom. At least the weather has been nice enough that she can escape to the porch and work on her jigsaw puzzles 😁

10. She really was such an incredible woman and artist. Thank you for bringing her to my attention again. I saw the film about her staring Salma Hayek and it moved me greatly. She is a living testament to the exuberance of living regardless of our circumstances

11. merrildsmith says:

It’s nice that you got to see your family (even the DT supporter). 😉
    We recently saw an exhibition at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Mexican Revolutionary Art. It included some works of Frida and Diego–as well as many others. Some of their works are in the permanent collection.

12. Laura Zera says:

I love the way you put this post together, giving us a view of the photos and art. And I hope that the life stuff is manageable and not too overwhelming for you. xo