A Word from the Author of Clemency, A Novel in Progress

Hey, everybody, I feel like I’ve been so deep in NaNoWriMo land and posting the progress of my WIP, Clemency, that you all may have forgotten what I look like.

Photo on 11-23-14 at 1.58 PM

Yes, I now have blue hair as well as pink.  In the right light, my husband says I look patriotic.  It’s just a streak of blue, but it goes well with my favorite bathrobe, don’t you think?  Oh, and this is what my hair looks like when I don’t use a flat iron.  Kind of all over the place.  Amazing how much work I have to put into my appearance just to be able to leave the house.

Okay, enough about my hair (although it is my favorite subject).  The point of this post is to let all my steadfast readers of Clemency–all five of you–know that the last chapter will be posted on December 2.  And, yes, all will be revealed for those of you who keep insisting that Mrs. Whitebread is guilty.  She’s guilty, but …  enough said.

A word of warning:  You may feel like you’ve missed something once you get to the end.  And, yes, indeed, you will have missed quite a bit because I am not posting the whole novel on my blog.  Yup, whole chapters are being left out.  Why?  Here are my excuses reasons:

• I didn’t want this WIP to go on indefinitely. I have other things I want to write about beside the novel that threatens to go forever.
  • I’ve tried to keep the posts to 1,000 words or less, but obviously (that is, if you’ve been reading), that’s been near to impossible.
  • Even more truthfully, posting these chapters have seriously cut into my writing time, more than I thought it would.

So I went ahead and wrote the ending, put it up on the scheduler and then just filled in with what I think are the most crucial chapters.

So in the remaining chapters, if you are reading along and find yourself exclaiming, “WTF. When did that happen?,” just know that it’s not you, it’s me, it’s the work in progress.  Besides, if I posted the whole novel, would there be any reason for anyone to buy it if and when it gets published?  “But, Marie,” you cry, “you’re giving away the killer’s identity!”  Yeah, so?  Some readers (myself included) don’t mind knowing the end as long as we have fun getting there (especially if your idea of fun is reading about people being tortured and killed).

Also, after Clemency has been raked over the coals by a series of revisions and an editor or two, the writing should be much better and, who knows, the killer’s identity might even change.  It would be just like me to do something like that.

I hope you enjoy the remaining posts on Clemency.  Looking forward to seeing you all on the other side.

P.S.  I’m past the 40,000 mark in NaNoWri as of this moment. Still a ways to go but I can almost taste the sweet finish.

This entry was posted in Clemency, Fiction, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Word from the Author of Clemency, A Novel in Progress

1. Yolanda M. says:

Only five of us?? hard to believe 😉 I love the streak of blue Marie. Isn’t blue the colour of creativity? If I had more hair I would attempt a similar streak. Looking forward to Dec 2 in the meantime I’ll probably reread previous chapters…

2. Green Embers says:

Yeah, I actually thought about writing a book where I enlisted Alpha Readers and gave different chapters to all of them (they would all have the ending) and see what parts were missing that needed to be filled in and what parts they thought were unnecessary. The problem being is I would have to write a book, lol.

I look at what you are doing kind of the same thing, so way to go! And way to go on getting that 40K words! 😀 😀

3. ericjbaker says:

I confess to not being able to keep up with the pace of your posting. Sometimes I am away from WordPress for a couple of days and it’s too hard to catch up on every post I missed, especially serialized stories (says the guy currently posting a serialized short story). However, I can beta read it for you at the end, or, if you’re looking to hire a freelance editor…

No problem, Eric. Originally, I thought I would just post a few chapters and then leave everyone hanging. But I quickly got the feeling that wouldn’t have gone over well 😉 I haven’t started your story yet. I’m waiting to finish November and then all I’m going to do is READ! I may hit you up for beta reading … or maybe even the other, but all of that is a long way off 😉

4. BerLinda says:

You’re doing such a great job, and of course you don’t want to publish the entire novel on here! Perfectly understandable 🙂 Love the hair, by the way!

5. BerLinda says:

Oh, am I one of the ones who think Mrs Whitebread is guilty!?

6. Making awesome progress. I think the bathrobe and wild hair look works for an author. 🙂

7. Love the photo, Marie! Keep going, you’re in the final stretch…I’m so proud of you! After two successful runs at NaNo, I’ve retired, but I do love the excitement of it all. Thanks for the “WTF” heads-up…that would have been me. 🙂

I see retirement from NaNoWriMo in my future. Unless I actually use the intervening months for editing/revising, I may never get anything published if the only “real” work I do is in November 😉 You’re welcome on the heads up 🙂

8. I am glad you gave this heads up. As you know I get a little jumpy when I think I’ve missed something. Have so enjoyed it so far. good job Marie.