RCC Update for July

Is it August yet? OMG, it’s August! Yes, I’ve been lolling in the luxury of not having to meet a WORD COUNT for the past few days. Methinks it’s getting harder, not easier, to cough up 50K words, even if a third of those wind up on my blog or someone else’s blog 🙂 NaNoWriMo in November will come soon enough and I might have to do something completely different for that word challenge. In the meantime, I’m still trying to decide what to do between now and then, besides the usual blogging, reblogging, commenting, tweeting, facebooking, and just general making a nuisance of myself. While I try to sort this out, let me revisit my RCC goals and see where I’m standing (or sitting or squatting as the case may be).

My Goals

(1) Get off my own back. I actually think I’m getting better at this. I did manage to push through to 50K in Camp NaNoWriMo but I was prepared to lose honorably, without any loss of pride. Any number of words I wrote was more than what I had started with and I could live with that. (But I’m glad I didn’t have to.)

(2) Set up a schedule of posting that gives me time to write, but doesn’t make followers think I’ve fallen off the face of the earth. I still haven’t sorted this out, and I’ve missed a number of tantalizing writing prompts on The Community Storyboard. If you haven’t been over there, do pay a visit. There’s plenty of great reading even if you not incllned to write.

(3) Get organized. That may have to wait another week or two. Here are my excuses: (1) my kitchen is in the last throes of being remodeled. I’ve been living without a kitchen sink for over a month now, and nothing makes me feel more disorganized than a unorganized house. Fingers crossed that the remodeling will be done by mid-August. (2) I have a business trip next week–a road trip no less with two other people meaning virtually no down time for the introvert that I am. (I admit that blogging has brought out my inner extrovert, as well as a few other inner things, but in the physical world, I am truly an introvert).

(4) Write the third novel in my series, The Widow’s Club (working title). OMG, I actually met this goal! And this is what I’ve been like since.

So I’m done for July. Hopefully I’ll have a schedule (eventually) for regular blog posts. Please stay tune for Monday’s Top Ten Things Not To Do posts that John Howell from Fiction Favorites and I collaborate on to give you all a chuckle for the beginning of your week.

This entry was posted in Rome Construction Crew and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to RCC Update for July

1. Have to get on to the third novel in my series as well. Finishing edits on book two tonight (reading blogs and procrastinating apparently). Gonna be a late one…

You’re way ahead of me. All three of my novels … there’s a fourth but not part of the series …. all of them are first drafts 😉 Quite a pickle I’m in if I ever hope to publish anything. Good luck with your edits! And thanks for commenting 🙂

2. Patti Hall says:

I’m still working on the first one…ok I took a break to deal with garden:>)
    Glad to see you and your goals again.

3. Green Embers says:

Congratulations!!! Love the pic, I think it sums up quite nicely. I am right proud of my 1K words that I wrote last month for NaNo, ahahahaha. But no I am proud you hit your goal, I know how hard it is to hit that 50 and you just destroyed it, so way to go!!!

You should be proud of your one thousand! Yes, I am glad I met my goal but I do wish I had gone a little easier in myself given all the other stuff going on in my life. Goodness, I think I’m already backsliding on Goal #1! @&$

That was a tremendous effort at meeting goals and it sounds like not meeting some maybe contributed to meeting others. We can’t all be perfect all of the time. Congratulations. You should be patting yourself on the back! 🙂

Thanks to my yoga practice, I can pat myself on the back :). Thanks for the support and now I can finish your book! It was my nighttime reading up until the last few nights when I got too bone tired to read anything. Hopefully I’ll have a review ready to post soon. BTW, I am enjoying it 🙂

• sknicholls says:

Great! I have made minor revisions to the first chapter to improve the flow and these will be published when the paperback comes out soon. I am glad that you are enjoying it. It isn’t stellar (IMHO not as worthy as the five star reviews it is getting) That troubles me a bit. I would rather see it rated to accurately reflect the words of the reviewer. Would not hurt my feelings at all 🙂

5. Good job on the goals. I have to sympathize on the kitchen. Our household has a tradition of Turkey on the grill as a result of a kitchen re-model that started in April of that year and was not done by Thanksgiving. (I guess I am saying holding breath on kitchen finish may be hazardous to one’s health)

Oh, wow. Thanks goodness, I know we’ll be done before the holidays. Well, at least the major stuff. All the new cabinets are in. We’re just waiting on the countertop and sink. Once those are done, then it’s just odds and ends (new low lights, organizers) that we can do any time. It’s definitely a low-end project but, still … I want my sink!! After the countertop is in, I’ll take pictures and put them up on a website so you all can enjoy 😉

6. All the best with those aims! You did make me laugh – that cat was wonderful.

Thank you! I had hoped to find a dancing cat, but when I saw this one I thought, “yup, that’s how I really feel” 🙂 Thanks for coming by, Kate!

7. ShannonRaelynn says:

There is nothing worse than a kitchen remodel! Your whole house is destroyed, for the sake of that one room. I bet it will be so worth it when it is done.

lol! That is so true! When we were in the planning stages, I think we were in denial about the inconvenience. We just didn’t want to imagine it. But, yes, most of our kitchen stuff is still in boxes. And the boxes in are various rooms. I still wash dishes in my shower (I have a detachable hose). We still can’t find stuff (where did the scissors go???) Just trying to take one day at a time. Thanks for coming by, Shannon!

8. Katie Cross says:

Your number one was awesome! I need to follow your advice and get off my own back as well.

Thanks! It’s the most difficult goal I have and I backslide on it a lot! 🙂 You have much to be proud of, girl. I love your blog and your attitude 🙂

9. lectorconstans says:

Cats have mastered the art of extra-transcendental meditation.

10. Pingback: Rome Construction Crew » RCC Update: 1WriteWay for … the last few months :)