Computer Hell: I’m Offline Thanks to a “Poisoned Apple”

Best line from this post: “Oh and thanks Apple for evolving into Windows.” I read this post by Cate Russell-Cole and thought, Oh my god, I’m not alone! I’ve been using Apple products almost exclusively since 2005 and was a hard-core fan until recently. I haven’t had (yet) the problem that Cate is having with Apple’s latest OS, but I agree the issues I have had seemed to have started right after Steve Jobs died. I thought it was just coincidence. Perhaps it isn’t, after all. The thing is, if I can’t trust Apple, who can I trust? My husband using Windows exclusively and, at least for now, he still has to suffer through mountains of updates every few days as well as the usual errors, freezes, etc. But my Apple products are quickly “catching up” with frequent updates that don’t often improve the functionality of my apps. I don’t like having to get used to a new interface after just getting used to the old one just so Apple claim it’s relevant. Please, Apple, slow down and fully test your products before unleashing them on your (for now) loyal customers. Your products are expensive enough without the added pain of beta software.

This entry was posted in Blogging and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Computer Hell: I’m Offline Thanks to a “Poisoned Apple”

1. Jade Reyner says:

I use a Windows 8 laptop system but we have a family iMac. Up until I read this, I was firmly in the Apple camp but it does seem like they are now experiencing issues with updates. It is so difficult for those of us that are just not technically minded enough to know what to do. I really hope that Cate gets her computer sorted soon – and I do feel a bit sorry for the tech guy that she mentioned who is clearly being swamped. Hope they give him a bonus! 🙂

Apple could definitely afford to give their tech support a bonus 🙂 I will remain hopeful that Apple will pull itself together. My overall experience with Apple has been great so I don’t want to give up yet 😉

2. I’m with you, Marie. I LOVE my MacBook Air–LOVE LOVE LOVE it–but I am making a conscious effort to NOT migrate to the Windows look and problem. After all, the constant issues with Window was one of the reasons I switched in the first place. We can only hope that all those Genius Bar appointments will get Apple’s attention (or that of their accountants, anyway).

Ooh, I love my MacBook Air too. But I was crushed one morning when I couldn’t download a document from iCloud — the document being my WIP for NaNo. Silly me was saving the doc to iCloud so I could download it to my desktop or iPad. Then I found out a lot of people were having or had the same problem and that Apple tech support was “working on it.” To my relief, that night I was able to get back in. Ever since then, however, I started emailing the latest version of my WIP to myself. Better safe than sorry 😉

3. I use a MacAir and haven’t had any problems at all with it – maybe I should thank my lucky stars that I have escaped the problems. I just can’t believe that Apple doesn’t produce a superior product to PC/Windows. I will agree that since Jobs has been gone, the company is not the same. Good luck

I’ve had some minor problems and then one big scare when I couldn’t access iCloud. I’m still loyal. A lot more will have to go wrong for me to give up on Apple 🙂

4. Katie Cross says:

Oh dear. I haven’t had any problems with my apple so far. I hope I don’t! I’ve been really happy with it, even with the Maverick update on my iMac and MacBookPro. Hopefully I stay away from it!

5. Dave says:

For what it’s worth, Apple updates are notorious for the number and variety of glitches and problems that show up. With any new update offered by Apple, a good rule of thumb is two wait at least a few months so that others can debug Apple’s latest and greatest. After that, your chances for a successful update are much, much better. It also helps if you backup and also make a clone of your bootable hard drive, just in case something awful happens, which appears to be the case with Cate. The nice thing about cloning your hard drive is that if you update and it dies, you can just clone your backup and be as good as new. It also wasn’t clear to me exactly what issues she was having, other than maybe some programs stopped working. These could be known incompatibilities, or even ones as yet unknown. That happens. Or, worst case, she could be facing some subtle hardware issues, like a hard drive that’s slowly dying.

While frustrating for Cate, you’re still light years ahead of the game with Macs. I have no plans to go back to Windows. Even the latest versions have plenty of bugs and “blue screens of death”(tm)

Hope she gets her computer working soon … never a fun situation.

Thanks, Dave, for the suggestions. I guess this is one area where procrastination serves me well. Usually by the time I get around to updating, there’s a new update to the original update 🙂 I back up my desktop regularly, but you pose a scary thought: the idea of a “hard drive that’s slowly dying.” My desktop is fairly old; my fingers are crossed that it still has a good long life ahead of it 🙂