Writing Prompt: Autumn

My contribution to this week’s writing prompt–Autumn–at The Community Storyboard.

HPIM0959

Autumn Memories

the air is crisp and seeps through my sweater and a flannel shirt to cool my skin

the leaves are bursting into a riot of yellow, gold, orange, magenta, blood red

all there is to eat is mulled cider and  pumpkin pie spiced with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon

when I was a child, my cat would start sleeping with me again,

instead of spending her night roaming, hunting mice in the cornfields

dry, crunchy leaves raked into mountains in which my brother and I would hide,

waiting for the low rumble of our mother’s car as she pulled into the driveway after work,

jumping up and showering leaves on her as her tired feet carried her down the walkway

the thick sweet smell of candle wax and pumpkin pulp

the flickering light of jack o’lanterns peeking out from neighbors yards in the black of night,

their serrated smiles and angled eyes making me uneasy

Autumn was a pause in life, a time to let things go,

a time to enjoy the beauty of decay and death

Always confident that Spring would eventually come

This entry was posted in Community Storyboard and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Writing Prompt: Autumn

1. Katie Cross says:

Oh, beautiful! The words mulled cider and pumpkin pie, combined with the blood red leaves- ah! Such amazing imagery. Thank you! Fall is my favorite season.

It feels so, well, Fallish! Can’t wait for cooler temps. So very nice. I was glad that you saw the beauty in death and decay…it is the only way we can truly appreciate new life.

3. Patti Hall says:

My senses came alive in this and my own memories tangled with yours. I love that you noticed that your cat came back at night in the fall. Just wonderful.

Thank you so much! I find it interesting how the memories start to flow when I let them. By the way, my cat’s name was Autumn. She was a dark tortoise shell. Very independent, but when it got cold she would stay inside and lay across my neck while I slept. Since we didn’t have any heating, I appreciated her body warmth 🙂

4. Love your thought and that photo!

5. Dave says:

Thanks for making it feel more like fall. Love it.

6. Expat Eye says:

You make it sound so golden and glorious! All we’ve had is rain for a week!